Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Craft In America



Check out PBS's new series on fine art craft Craft in America. I saw last week's episode about artists turn craft into a career. The segment on students at Kansas City Art Institute reminded me of my days as a craft student at VCU. Its is a strange process learning a new craft in a university setting. It can be so daunting when learning a craft technique that will take you many many years to master when you only have four years in school to develop your skills. Of course many people end up making a living doing something different from what they thought they would be doing when they were in school. I believe being a craft major is a great foundation for any artist because you are exposed to so many techniques. I don't think I would be as good a painter today if I had majored in painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment